Fund Raising News and Tools for Non-profits

Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Birth of a Blog

Where do I start?  I was a little bored and wanted to start a website. So what do I write about?  I happen to be a development director and President of AFP Pocono Mountains Chapter.  Well, fund development of course.  But what did I know about a website?  I had no idea where to begin.  I was discussing this situation with my 19 year old son on his way back from college.  He had no choice but to talk to me.  It was a 2 1/2 hour drive.

He suggested I start a blog. But how would I get anyone to read the blog? Could I make any money?  After all I have nothing to sell.  My son who's babysitter was our home computer for many years said,  "Don't worry just add content.  I will take care of the rest."  So that was the birth of my blog.  Beers Group.  (Beers is my last name and Group represents my three children.) 

I must admit that my son did help me but Google also participated.  The help tab was also very informative.

I went to Google Blogs and followed the simple directions.  They provide templates and you can customize your account by changing colors and fonts.  Part of the fun is learning how to create the blog and add things like gadgets. 

Gadgets are the things on the top of the page and on the side such as Labels, Members, and About Me.  These are neat things that can link you to other blogs or make navigating my blog easier. So follow me as I improve my blog and please add your comments and questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment