Fund Raising News and Tools for Non-profits

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Linkedin for Nonprofits

As I try to weed through the social media haze I do stumble upon some interesting sites. Twitter has not caught my interest yet. I dabbled with it a little during the Pepsi Refresh Project days then dropped it.

I may go back once I get my NPO's Facebook page working to my liking. I still am having a few issues with getting it to a place that merits the time I am putting into it.

One site that never seems to become uninteresting is LinkedIn. Through pure trial and error I have been able to link my blog to Linkedin. I also have a You Tube Video from the NPO I work at on my profile page. I have over 200 connections from fellow fundraising professionals to recruiters. Personally, there is a wealth of information on fundraising that is shared through groups of your personal interest.
Several NPOs use LinkedIn to invite connections to their functions or just to ask for help. The best part is that this site has a global reach. Experts in your field are ready to give advice. You can join in on the conversations or just read what others think.

I started out using LinkedIn as a personal tool for professional growth but it has quickly become a way to rally supporters for professional advice, camaraderie, and idea engines.

I have not used LinkedIn to find a new job but my son-in-law found his new job through the site and he wasn't even looking for a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment