Fund Raising News and Tools for Non-profits

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Staff Development

How do you keep your staff engaged in fund raising? For me even more than the mission it is that sizable check that arrives in the mail. I know I don't get to spend it on myself but it just feels good to see those zeros. For other fund raisers there is satisfaction and motivation when they see progress towards the greater good. It might be feeding the hungry or clothing the needy.

Sometimes your motivator is not enough. Let's face it these are tough times. Our country is going through some major financial changes that are effecting how we raise funds. It is difficult to get new money, we have to try new innovative ideas, resources are short. I love fund raising but it has its challenges.

To rejuvenate and get fired up, I was able to take a trip to South Carolina. I stayed in a beach house with 12 people and 5 dogs. I am not a fan of pets. To top it off I had poison ivy and was stung by a wasp. All in all it was a very relaxing vacation. So many times, I go out socially and end up talking about work. On this vacation I turned work completely off and just enjoyed my children their extended family, and my new grand dog, Lady Zsa Zsa.

I even had a chance to put away the fundraisng books I have been engulfed in and read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

The mission was still there when I got back but so were a few sizable checks. I am refreshed and ready for our up coming fashion show, Sroudfest, newsletter, annual appeal, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment